Tuesday, March 30, 2010

radiant.

One of the things that I really love to look at when reading the bible is word choice. Recently I was reading in Exodus 34, about Moses going up to Mount Sinai for the second to retrieve the stone tablets again, because he broke the first ones. In verses 29-35 it states,
"When Moses came down from Mount Sinai with the two tablets of the Testimony in his hands, he was not aware that his face was radiant because he had spoken with the Lord. When Aaron and all the Israelites saw Moses, his face was radiant, and they were afraid to come near him. But Moses called to them; so Aaron and all the leaders of the community came back t him, and he spoke to them. Afterward all the Israelites came near him, and he gave them all the commands the Lord had given him on Mount Sinai. When Moses finished speaking to them, he put a veil over his face. But whenever he entered the Lord's presence to speak with him, he removed the veil until he came out. And when he came out and told the Israelites what he had been commanded, they saw that his face was radiant. Then Moses would put the veil back over his face until he went in to speak with the Lord."

I really love the use of the word RADIANT here. I think that it is magnificent that when Moses had returned from speaking with the Lord that his face shown in radiance, and that he had to cover it up to talk with the Israelites. This made me take notice of my own life. I say that I have this relationship with the Lord, and in it I am able to talk freely. But can others see that? Can others see just from my face, expression or action that I have this deep and intimate relationship with the Lord? I think that I want to be my goal for this week. To just really shine for the Lord. Project radiance because of the depth of the relationship that I am able to have with Christ, and use it to help and life others in theirs.

I checked this verse in my giant study bible (best christmas gift ever..) and this is what it said about it.
"they were afraid to come near him" (V. 30)
"the people respond to the effect of Moses' meeting with the Lord in a manner similar to when they heard God speaking from Mount Sinai. However, it is the glory of the Lord in their midst that is meant to sanctify both the tabernacle and the people, which is how Paul later describes the work of the Spirit int he life of one who has turned to the Lord."

Additionally, it says about Verse 35.
"Like the pillar of cloud over the temporary tent of meeting, the skin of Moses' face shining is a sign to the people that it is the Lord who is speaking with Moses, just as he did on Mount Sinai."

Anyway, I think that is something that i am going to strive for in my Walk. I am not going to "hide it under a bushel NO, im gonna let it shine!" haha

have a good week!

1 comment:

  1. I want to be radiant too! Gah. That is like, my main prayer, that people would see God in me, even just the slightest change in demeanor. One time I mentioned church to someone (at my old school) and he was like, "oh I didn't know you were a Christian" and that made me really sad.

    ReplyDelete