Sunday, August 29, 2010

follow up.

Normally, when I return home from a trip I write a thank you/follow up note to my supporters. When I started writing this one, after the introduction, I was a little stuck, I didnt know what to say. This trip was different, and I didnt want to just write about all the nice happy times that I played with kids. I just wanted to share this with you, maybe to give some insight as to what I was processing through throughout the trip.

Dearest Friends and Family,

I will start this note with the same greeting as the past one, “I hope this finds you and your loved ones doing well, basking in the light of the Lord. I am excited to hear the stories of what He is doing in your life, and am excited to share my own.” I am very excited to hear how the Lord has been moving in each of your lives and I continue to pray that the Lord rains down blessings on you and your loved ones.

My time in El Salvador was…This is where I draw a blank. I do not know if I could find the words to describe my time in El Salvador. I wish I could just gush about how wonderful it was and how God’s grace was abundant. Instead, I am still learning what it means to be taught by God. My time in El Salvador was tougher than I thought it would be. Many days I had to really seek what the Lord’s calling for me was that day and press to see it through. I am still learning about what it means to be a servant, doing something for the Kingdom despite it being hard, even if you see no gratification from it. Joy should not come from being able to count the “Thank you’s” or to be praised, but to know, in your heart, that you are doing God’s will. Anything else is just an added gift.

Albeit my time was not always easy, I grew. Every day I can see the impact in ways great and small. One of the ministries that had the greatest effect on me was a nearby community called “Bendicion de Dios” or Blessing of God. This community is located in one of the more dangerous parts of San Salvador. It is much improvised and there is a lot of spiritual darkness that presents itself in the attitudes and home lives of the people who live there (left). Three days a week I would go to this community to teach English. I loved my time there. More than teaching English we were there to encourage the youth of the community: ask them about their days, listen to what they have to say, and encourage them. Slowly over time, I realized that maybe teaching English was not the most important thing I could do for these young people, but more just to love them, push them to think bigger than their lives and their community.

Despite their situation, this community was, to me, an example of hope. I was continually inspired by the potential that dwelled in this place. Hope for something better, hope for something more. I am daily praying for this community, and I invite you to join me. Pray that the children can understand how precious and wonderfully made they are. That they can choose not to be like their parents, and I pray that they continue to seek this hope and see just what the power of Christ can do for them, to bring them out of this darkness and oppression.

I look back over the past few months and see that the Lord was moving in my own life, as well as the lives of those around me. I want to thank you, truly, for how you have impacted my life. Thank you for seeking the plans that have been laid on your life, and following through with courage and boldness. I am constantly encouraged my each one of you.

I want to close with a quote from a devotional I have been working through. Jesus Calling by Sarah Young states, “The vast ocean of Love cannot be measured or explained, but it can be experienced.” I hope that we can continue to learn from each moment in our lives, and desire to seek the love and grace of the Lord.

May you be covered in the dust of our Savior,
Annie

The Spirit and the bride say, “come!” And let him who hears say, “come!” Whoever is thirsty, let him come; and whoever wishes, let him take the free gift of the water of life.
Revelation 22:17

No comments:

Post a Comment