Monday, June 14, 2010

estoy aqui!

hello,
So i arrived to El Salvador on Friday evening, what was supposed to be a quick 3 hour flight from Dallas-fort worth to San Salvador turned into a 6.5 hour adventures. Firstly, we left 1 hour late, after flying the whole way to San Salvador, we were not able to land because of storms that were over the airport, after circling around a few times, they told us that they were running out of fuel. To fix this problem we were going to have to fly to Gutamala city. Well, i suppose that was ok, i had never been to guatmala...finally, we arrived. I was so nervous that Pastor Javior was just going to leave. But no, he was their waiting. I was so relieved! I was so increibly tired because i had left my house in seattl at 4:30 that morning.

Since arriving, things have been going well. I love my house Mother, Maria Louisa, and today is my first day working in the ministries. The main thing that Christ for the City has is a school and church here in San Salvador. it is set up so that children in poverty can have a chance at a private school education, so they are not forced into the position of their families. I am excited to start working here, teaching children english and helping the classrooms. Additionally, they also have projects out in the poorer outskirts of the town that I am going to go and check out tomorrow, and they also have a soccer camp going to keep kids out of trouble...however, i do not believe that i am going to be able to help out much with that...has anyone ever seen me kick a ball? not a pretty site.

maria Lousia is a teacher here at the school. All her children have grown and moved out so i think she is taking this oppertunity to spoil me. When we went to run errends she took me out for ice cream (also her favorite treat!) and she ordered us the biggest banana split i have ever seen (one for each of us). she also let me pick out whatever ceral i wanted at the grocery store. she is wonderful!

take care, av

2 comments:

  1. Yesterday I drank Coronas and margaritas with my dad (as I am wont to do) and promptly played with two boys, Jared and Jesse, who are the sons of a logger and hayfarmer that my dad's friends with. First I pulled out the Rock'em Sock'em robots, then we played hide'n'seek, and then we played cops'n'robbers. It devolved into me being the robber, them shooting me with imaginary guns (mostly aimed at my heart) and cutting me with knives (slashing and blood effects and all), and me tackling them to the ground repeatedly, gently of course. I gave Jared a spiderman action figure and I'm supposed to draw Jesse a picture of a man being tackled by a bull because he thinks I'm a good artist, and he thinks he's a cowboy. They just went to the Roy Rodeo the weekend previous.

    I just wanted to tell you that story because I wanted to tell it to you yesterday, but remembered that I couldn't because you're in El Salvador. I appreciate and miss you so much, Annie, and I hope you have all the fun and life-affirming experiences you can handle down there. My prayers will be emanating from Washington!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miz Annie, I was thinking of you, thinking, "gee I want to chat with Annie right now, but gosh darn it she's in South Amerikah-land! What to do!" then I realized that you have a blog...and here is a post from you!

    BTW some losers outside my window are pestering the apartment above me, making it awkward to be sitting here typing this. Um...good thing this bush has grown hugely in the past 2 weeks.

    Ok anyway WOW. I love to hear about what you are doing in El Salvador. That school sounds like such a great mission. I know you will be a big help to them. Please update this as you can :) So glad you're safe by the way. Much love.

    ReplyDelete